Four Toxic Foods For Your Los Angeles Dog

It is no secret that our dogs love to eat! The smell of any meat or their favorite treat is enough to get their mouths watering. 

It can be tempting to slip your fur baby some holiday food under the table with the holidays around the corner. Unfortunately, you aren’t doing them any favors. A lot of the foods we love and enjoy are toxic foods for your dogs. Dog food is formulated specifically for their dietary and digestive needs. Dogs cannot metabolize certain foods the way we can. Ingesting toxic foods can lead to digestive upset or even a medical emergency. 

We will break down four toxic foods for your Los Angeles Dog, so you all can enjoy the holidays safely. 

 

Chocolate

As a pet owner, chances are you are aware that chocolate is extremely toxic to your dog. Not only is the high sugar content horrible for their digestive system, but there are two components of chocolate that lead to illness upon ingestion: theobromine and caffeine. It is not uncommon for dogs to accidentally eat a small amount of chocolate and experience few symptoms. When it comes to chocolate, the amount consumed and the size of your dog will determine the degree of toxicity. If a small chihuahua eats a chocolate bar, it can be lethal to them. However, if a German Shephard eats the same chocolate bar, they will likely experience very few symptoms. Keep an eye on your dog if you suspect they have ingested chocolate. Symptoms do not start until about four hours after consumption. If you notice any vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, seizures or tremors, you must take them to your nearest pet hospital. 

 

Grapes and Raisins

While plenty of fruits in your diet is excellent for your nutrition, this does not apply to your canine friend. Grapes and raisins (which are just dried grapes) are highly toxic to your dog. Researchers have not been able to identify what amount of grapes are harmful to your pet, so it is best to keep them away from grapes entirely. Eating one grape can lead to severe kidney failure in your Los Angeles pet. 

If you suspect or know for sure that your dog has ingested a grape or raisin, you must bring them to your nearest emergency hospital. Look out for symptoms such as appetite loss, weakness, vomiting, abdominal pain (the abdomen will be tender when your touch it). Also, dehydration and increased thirst can both be signs that your dog ate grapes. Treatment for eating grapes and raisins would be to induce vomiting as fast as possible. 

Toxic Foods For Your Los Angeles Dog (1)

Alcohol

Alcoholic beverages should be off-limits to your dog. Dogs do not naturally gravitate towards alcohol, but accidents do happen. If wine or beer spills on the floor, your dog will more than likely be curious and want to lick it up off the floor. Just like chocolate, it’s not necessarily the type of alcohol consumed that is dangerous, but rather the amount consumed in conjunction with your dog’s body weight, as well as the alcohol content. 

If a toy breed like a Brussels Griffon happens to drink a bit of wine that accidentally spilled on the floor, it will be much more dangerous for them than if your Labrador licks up the same amount. 

Your dog will likely be more curious about drinks that are fruit-based like ciders, or punches. Along with your cocktails, most drinks will also require mixers which often include an ingredient called Xylitol. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in food or beverages. It is very dangerous for your pet. Xylitol is also known as “birch sugar.” Both are the same thing and equally poisonous. 

If your dog has gotten a hold of an alcoholic beverage, look out for these warning signs: vomiting, disorientation, excessive panting, muscle seizures, or restlessness.

 

Onions And Garlic

These natural food enhancers can certainly help give your holiday meals a flavor boost, but if your dog gets a hold of them, it can mean big trouble. Onions can cause a breakdown in red blood cells, which can then lead to anemia. 

Raw onion isn’t the only thing that is harmful to your dog. Onion powder, garlic powder, juices within onions, and flesh, can all lead to a medical emergency. Always properly discard the leftover skin and flesh when cooking with onions and garlic.

Some of the most obvious signs that your dog has eaten onions or garlic is that they will show a decrease in appetite and have pale gums and reddish urine. The best thing you can do for your furry loved one is to bring them to the vet right away.

A lot of these foods discussed are also toxic to cats. As committed pet owners, we must keep these unhealthy foods away from our pets. 

If you suspect your dog has eaten any of these toxic foods, contact the pet poison helpline for immediate treatment advice on how to care for your pet. Prevention is key to avoiding any accidents with your pet. Strengthening their listening skills will help ensure they are obedient when you tell them to leave something that doesn’t belong to them. 

If you need assistance with basic training fundamentals, check out our services page to see how Pawsitive K9 Solution can help you!

Previous

Next

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *