Surprising Toxic and Poisonous Household Plants for Dogs

When we first bring home a new plant, we’re excited about the level of decor it brings to the room. In addition, as plants are often gifted to us, we love the warm feelings they give us when we look at them. Plants are also known for causing happiness, so it’s hard for us to imagine such a beautiful specimen causing harm. (Psychology Today).

Despite their pleasant serotonin-boosting appearance, many household plants can be quite poisonous and toxic to your dog. That’s right; your new visually appealing plants may pose a significant danger to your furry friend. Review our list of the most common household plants that, if ingested, can be deadly for your dog!


Celebrated for their lofty stems and large leaves that bring a dreamy tropical appearance to any room, Philodendrons are quite toxic for dogs. In fact, as stated by The National Capital Poison Center, “both plants contain oxalates which can cause swelling, drooling, and loss of speech if swallowed. Swelling, redness, and irritation can also occur if the skin or eyes are exposed.” So, if you have one of these sun-loving plants, it’s best that you keep them separated from your furry friend!


Known for their rounded bright flowers, Tulips are a popular flower to give as a gift. Yes, one of the most popular plants to purchase for Mother’s Day can be quite harmful to your dog. The flower of a Tulip can result in an upset stomach. However, when chewed or eaten, the bulb contains toxins that can lead to death. Whether you keep your tulips in the house or outside, it’s advised that you choose a different plant to decorate your yard or your windowsill.


Like tulips, if dogs make it to the bulbs of the Hyacinth plant, they’re done for! This flowering bush can lead to dehydration, loss of appetite, and intense drooling. Furthermore, they’ve been known to cause mood issues such as depression when eaten over time. Although these symptoms may not sound singularly intense, they can be deadly if left untreated.

Peace Lily

Often presented at funerals, peace lilies make it into the home as sentimental mementos. When nibbled, the flowers of the plant can lead to dogs experiencing an irritated digestive system starting with the mouth and ending with the stomach and intestines. Vomiting and diarrhea are both common symptoms of dogs who have eaten a Peace Lily.

Aloe Vera

The inside gel of the Aloe Vera is known for being very beneficial to our skin, hair, and digestive system. However, the tough outer layer of the plant is quite tempting for chew-prone dogs! When chewed and eaten, the outer husk of the plant can become lodged in the stomach and even the colon. Since the outside of Aloe Vera is sharp and spiky, it can cause quite a bit of interior damage to a dog’s body. As you may know, dogs who eat indigestible plants also often require surgery to remove the obstruction.


Now that Marijuana is becoming legal in more and more areas, cases of dogs becoming ill from the plant are increasing. While Cannabis has medicinal benefits for humans, the effects can be quite harmful to pets. When eaten, Cannabis can cause “Their pupils [to] dilate, giving them a wild-eyed appearance, and they may drool excessively or vomit.

They may also develop urinary incontinence (i.e., urine leakage). In severe cases, tremors, seizures, and coma can result” (VCA Animal Hospitals). These side effects are the same if the dog eats straight from the plant or more dried leaves. As it turns out, many consumables that humans ingest are toxic to dogs! Review these Four Toxic Foods For Your Los Angeles Dog to ensure you aren’t endangering your furry friend.


Often hung above door frames as a tradition, Mistletoe is known for being a plant that brings people together. In fact, the tradition surrounding Mistletoe requires anyone standing under it to receive a kiss. As charming as that is, you won’t want to be kissing your dog if they ingest this plant!

Mistletoe can cause shocking symptoms such as extreme vomiting, drooling, stomach pain, and diarrhea. It’s common to receive a puppy as a pet for the holidays! To ensure you and your new family member are off to a good start, read this article about the Dos and Dont’s.


This lovely flower has quickly grown in popularity for its giant multi-layered blooming flowers that come in a variety of colors, including vibrant pinks, deep plums, and fresh whites. Owners of peonies often dote on these plants, taking pride in the bright sense of beauty they bring to any yard. Whether they are kept inside in a bouquet or outdoors in the yard, dog owners should beware. The peony step includes a chemical called Paeonol which, like many plants, causes gastrointestinal issues.


You may recognize this plant as the flower in your yard with petite purple and white flowers. Due to Milkweed’s pretty and delicate appearance, most people do not rush to get rid of these invasive weeds. However, it has cardiotoxins (steroidal glycosidic cardenolides) and neurotoxins that can lead to organ failure and seizures in dogs. Avoid keeping these plants in your home and if your dog spends a significant amount of time outside, consider having them killed off from your yard.


Appreciated for their bright flowers, Azaleas are a classic plant kept in yards and even in indoor window seals. They’re non-fussy and easy to keep; therefore, they’re one of the most popular house and yard plants. The ASPCA testifies that Azaleas will cause “vomiting (not in horses), diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure,” with other sources vouching that the plant can lead to distorted vision and even hypersalivation in dogs. Even if your dog is not prone to chewing on plants, it isn’t advised that you risk it by keeping Azaleas around!

There Are Safe Plants!

While the list of toxic and poisonous plants for dogs seems to be quite a bit longer than safe plants, there is hope! There are a variety of beautiful leafy and floral plants that are all right for you to keep around your furry friend. The Spider Plant, Calathea, African Violets, and some succulents are just a few plants that, if nibbled by a dog, won’t cause harm.

Our Pawsitive K9 Solutions team of canine experts is passionate about providing advice and tips to help you keep your dog happy, healthy, and safe. Furthermore, we are a Los Angeles dog training service dedicated to assisting our clients in living harmoniously with their dogs.

For more insight on what could be harmful to your dogs, we encourage you to check out our article about Foods and Ingredients That Are Toxic for Dogs!



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *